Skip to main content

Voters exempt from the two-year limit

Absentee voters can be exempt from the two-year eligibility limit and will need to provide proof of occupation or educational attendance if applying under one of the following categories:

  • on active duty as a member of the armed forces of Canada;
  • in the service of the Government of Ontario;
  • in the service of the Government of Canada and absent from Canada;
  • attending an educational institution; or
  • as a family member of one of the above.

To update, add or remove your information, you will need to provide one piece of accepted ID showing your name and last home address before leaving Ontario.

Search the Register of Absentee Voters to confirm, update, add or remove your information. Alternatively, you can complete a paper application form.

ID includes most documents issued by the Government of Canada, the Government of Ontario or a municipality in Ontario. Find examples of accepted ID below.

Examples of accepted ID to update, add or remove your information from the Register of Absentee Voters


  • Ontario driver’s licence
  • Ontario photo card
  • Statement of Old Age Security T4A (OAS)
  • Statement of Employment Insurance Benefits Paid T4E
  • Income tax notice of assessment
  • Ontario motor vehicle permit (plate or vehicle portion)
  • Property assessment notice from Municipal Property Assessment Corporation (MPAC)
  • Child tax benefit statement
  • Social Insurance Number confirmation letter
  • Any other document showing both your name and home address issued by:
    • the Government of Canada
    • the Government of Ontario

Educational or Financial

  • School admission letter
  • School transcript or report card
  • School tuition/fees statement
  • Bank account or credit card statement
  • Residential mortgage, lease or rental statement
  • Cancelled personalized cheque
  • Cheque stub, pay receipt or T4 issued by a person’s employer
  • Insurance statement
  • Signed loan or financial agreement with a financial institution
  • Document showing campus residence issued by the office or officials responsible for student residence at a post-secondary institution


  • Utility bill (hydro, water, gas, telephone, cable TV, public utilities commission)
  • Hospital records showing a person’s name and home address
  • CNIB card or card from another registered charitable organization that provides services to persons with disabilities
  • Letter of Confirmation of Residence
  • Property tax assessment or bill from a municipality in Ontario
  • Any other document showing both your name and home address issued by:
    • a municipality
    • a government agency
    • or certified by a court in Ontario
    • a Band Council in Ontario established under the Indian Act (Canada)

Find examples of accepted proof of occupation or educational attendance below.

Examples of accepted documents showing occupational status or educational attendance

Active duty member of the Canadian Armed Forces

  • Canadian Armed Forces ID card (NDI 20)
  • Temporary ID card (NDI 10)
  • Any other document from the Canadian Armed Forces proving active service

Employee of the Government Canada/Ontario

  • Employment confirmation letter
  • Government identification card
  • Photocopy of diplomatic or special passport
  • RCMP service identification
  • Any other document from the Government of Canada/Ontario, or its agency proving a person’s employment

Attending an educational institution

  • Official enrollment letter or acceptance letter
  • Photocopy of student card (with valid date/year)
  • Photocopy of course registration, transcript, report card or class schedule
  • Tuition or fees statement, invoice or receipt